Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Removing A Moen Kitchen Faucet



I've got a failed kitchen faucet, 4 hole type, single handle and a squirter. Very standard Moen faucet. I see in the instructions they provide a special tool for installing the thing. I need to take it out but am not replacing with a Moen. Is there a trick to removing that single nut or whatever it is so I can take out the old faucet easily? It's mounted to a typical dual sink stainless steel unit. I'm asking this question without having actually looked at the install since it is in a rental house.
Thanks Much

I'll take a guess that you are talking about the nut that goes on the threaded rod in the center of the faucet, if so and you don't have the Moen tool you will need a deep socket to get it off, best I can do, luck.

Done. Basin wrench worked on the nut. Of course it took me 5 mins to get it off and 3 hours to get back on my feet :-) Gettin' much too old for this back-breaking crap. It was actually pretty easy to break loose since it was in only about 5 years. Crappy faucets these moen's, the actual spigot part rotted out, not the cartridge. Put an Am Standard in its place, life time warranty on it and it was less than 50 bucks.

You poor guy. That must have been a battle, trying to get that to fit between the H C copper water lines coming down through that same hole. Next time, I'd go out and get the right sized nut driver, if the nut is say higher up the threads than say even a deep socket can go.

Actually, the basin wrench worked well. From now on, Am Std faucets. Big plastic nut to hold in place, easy to put in, easy to take out. Replacing the bathroom faucet next week. The water in the house is from a well, tough on pipes and fixtures.

[QUOTE=rmmagow;1648411]Done. Basin wrench worked on the nut. Of course it took me 5 mins to get it off and 3 hours to get back on my feet :-) Gettin' much too old for this back-breaking crap. It was actually pretty easy to break loose since it was in only about 5 years. Crappy faucets these moen's, the actual spigot part rotted out, not the cartridge. Put an Am Standard in its place, life time warranty on it and it was less than 50 bucks.[/QUOTE
If you had the paper work for the Moen they are guaranteed for life also; the one I have in my house (20 yrs) I've never had any problems with getting parts free with a phone call.






Tags: removing, moen, kitchen, faucet, wrench worked, years Crappy faucets these moen, about years, about years Crappy, about years Crappy faucets, about years Crappy faucets these, actual spigot