Monday, March 10, 2014

Lowes Vs Lumber Liquidators



Money is an issue........so we've checked Lowes for Engineered wood flooring. We've found something that will suit our needs(read: we aren't in love, but it will work), but wondering if a trip to Lumber Liquidators is worth our time. Does anyone have experience/opinions about Lowes or Lumber Liquidators? Do they carry the same quality stuff? Or does Lumber Liquidators truely carry nicer stuff at better prices???????

If you feel value means low price, the Lumber Liquidators and there badly milled Bellawood and Bruce flooring, will meet your expectations. Order way over the standard 5% for culling!!! Try 20% and you still may need more!!!
If your looking for a quality floor that has no issues with milling and fit, Lumber Liquidators is not going to come close to meeting your expectations.
The installers they have on their list here, are not prescreened, for your protection. The usual hacks trying to make a quick buck off unsuspecting consumers.
You can polish a turd all you want, and it is still just a turd.

thanks for your input...........I'll skip the 2 hour drive to check them out then.....is the quality at Lowes just as bad? We've not had the experience with floors like you, so what is your opinion of Lowes Mohawk?

Sheesh, I should have guessed, especially with their low prices. You get what you pay for.
Carpets Done Wright--where would you suggest for a place to get select hard maple for flooring? I need to find a place and LL seemed the best, but perhaps not.
Thanks!

I am in your same boat, and looking to save a little money. I have found this site, Hosking Hardwood . The link is to the Bruce Engineered wood flooring, coastal woodlands. It appears like a good place to buy from. I am still trying to find out if anyone out there has dealt with them though. Anyway, this is looking the place I am going to buy from. It beats Home Depot prices buy about 400 even after adding shipping on.

Hoskins is an excellent E-tailer!!!
I would suggest looking at flooring stores or hardwood stores and get an idea of what you like. Then get on-line and search the e-tailers for that same product.
Don't be affraid to order on-line!!! Places like Hoskins and iFloor have excellent customer service, if there is a concern with the shippment.

CDW - I have searched iFloor. Unfortunately they only sell pre-finished flooring. I think I want to finih mine myself. And I can't find Hoskins via google. Do you happen to have a link to their webpage?

I read this whole thread and am not feeling well anymore. I bought my Bellawood hardwood natural maple 2 weeks ago and it's at home. It looks nice though but haven't seen all the other strips yet. Are they really bad?
What does bad milling mean though?
Thanks.

I don't think you will be say......disappointed....with the Bella. There are a lot of big names out there when it comes to flooring .....Bella and Bruce being the 2 biggies. I am not sure of the history of these companies but often with companies that are popular they start out with a good product and get popular. They then get a bit too big for their britches and look at $ signs and start to increase advertising while slcacking on the product. What I have seen with Bella and Bruce is pretty much what C.D.W. pointed out. You will have some good pieces and some not so good pieces that can't even be used. A lot of times people have to go out and buy more because they didn't have enough good wood to go around. Most of the time spending the extra buck per square foot and going with a good reputable brand will save in the long run.
With all of this said, I am sure you will be happy with your purchase. I have installed Bella before and finished it as well. It is not terrible and nightmarish suff. I did run into a lot of bad pieces once but it was not the end of the world. Just remember in the future to look around and don't be afraid to call a local real professional installer (not Lowes, HD, or LL) and ask their opinion. Installers know SOOOOOO much about the stuff because they deal with it first hand. Good luck and seriously don't lose sleep over you decision.






Tags: lowes, lumber, liquidators, Lumber Liquidators, because they, Bella Bruce, Engineered wood, Engineered wood flooring, good pieces, Lowes Lumber, Lowes Lumber Liquidators, some good, some good pieces