Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Craftsman 14" 5 Hp Rear Tine Tiller Problems



I have a Sears Craftsman Model # 917.295554 14, 5 HP rear tine tiller that I lent to a friend and unfortunately, it hasn't run the same since its return home. When I engage the tiller, it will grab and start tilling for 20-30 seconds or so then seem to jump out of gear. I'm sure a new belt couldn't hurt but was hoping that either someone had a link to a manual so I could read up on different adjustments that I'm certain must exist. It was given to me by the wife of a neighbor that has moved on so I don't know how old it is nor did I get the owners manual with it. I'd appreciate any help, tips or suggestions that anyone can offer. I can find the parts diagram from Sears online but no manual to help me with adjustments. Thanks for your time!
fnolteiii

Have you checked the shear pins on the tines? If they shear, they may still have enough grab to get the tiller going, but will slip after a few seconds. Never replace the shear pins with bolts, as the shearing feature is what saves the engine if you grab a big rock or root.

Actually spent the time, located a similar manual and read up on adjust the belt tension cable. I adjusted slightly upward and now it seems to be working just fine. In the spring, I will replace the belt as I can see that it has stretched out considerably and that might explain the need to adjust the tension. Thanks for the tip though. While I had the side cover off, I did a thorough debris cleaning especially around the tines and tine shaft which I was amazed at how much stuff was wrapped around that! All seems well for now. Thanks again for the suggestion!






Tags: craftsman, rear, tine, tiller, shear pins